Saturday 16 October 2010

Hostins of Atherton Place, Devonport



Here's a lovely old photo of Hostin's newsagent and general store at Atherton Place. From the newspaper hoardings, Plymouth Albion have been successful, the Polar expedition is in peril and there is 'an unbeatable forecast for all the big pools'. Those were the days when winning the Pools was equivalent to winning the lottery. There are adverts for Clubs Cigarettes, another for Woodbines and there's a boot and shoe repair service offered. An advert in the window advertises the Tivoli which is showing 'After Dark' and 'Humility'. The magazines on show include 'Wife and Home', 'Practical Wireless', 'Picture Show', 'World Radio', and 'Radio Times'. There seems to be a collection of postcards on display in the centre of the window.
Terry, who wrote to me earlier about the Saltash Passage mine, tells me:
'This photo features William Henry Hostin and his wife, Laura Wright Hoskin (nee Reed). The shop was at No 2 Atherton Place which is halfway up Charlotte Street, between St Leo's Place and Warren Street. It's still there but isn't a shop anymore. The shop window has gone and has been turned into a bay window.'

Terry included a photo of the shop as it appears today and I've featured it here.
Terry continues:
'Mr and Mrs Hostin were my grandparents and I was born in the room behind the shop and lived there for a short while. Next door was a post office when I was young. My gran used to give me sixpence on a Saturday and then whisk me next door to buy a savings stamp for my post office savings book. I only had it in my hands for 90 seconds! Sixpence was a lot then - those were the days!'
Things have certainly changed over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment