Friday 4 July 2014

Derek Dougan, Cooper's News, West Park 1972


Back in the 1970s, Derek Dougan was a huge star so it was a bit of a surprise when my mum came home from the shop where she worked and said that he would be signing copies of his new book there. The shop was Cooper's News at West Park (formerly Eastabrooks) which was a small newsagents, now long gone. I wqas at junior school then, at the nearby Knowle Primary, where one of the playtime pastimes involved swapping football cards (we all had a collection).
The book was called 'The Sash He Never Wore' and the year was 1972. Derek appeared at the shop at 7pm at night and there was a crowd of kids (mainly boys) waiting for him. For some reason, I didn't go but the manager of the shop, Clive Thomas (who was a lovely bloke), kindly got me his autograph (which I still have) and a signed copy of his book (which unfortunately disappeared years ago). I was pleased to have them.
Years later, I wonder if anyone else remembers Derek's visit to West Park, even then it seemed an odd venue for him to sign his books.



No comments:

Post a Comment