Tuesday 1 July 2014

Jack Cohen's Joke Shop



I'm sure that many people in Plymouth will have happy memories of visiting Jack Cohen's Joke Shop in the 1960s, 70s and 80s. It was the haunt of many kids and some of the jokes stocked included itching powder, stink bombs (very popular), whoopee cushions and much more. I knew a kid at school called Nicholas Rich who loved playing practical jokes and I'm sure much of his pocket money must have been spent in there. Jack was always lovely to all the kids that came in the shop. I remember buying a cheap imitation Action Man, made in China, and he told me not to forget to feed him! He was always larking around. Jokes and magic tricks seemed to go out of favour sometime in the 1980s and Jack eventually sold the shop. It ran for a while longer, keeping the same name, but eventually closed in the 1990s and ended up in a unit in Lovejoys in the Barbican.
This photo is interesting because it shows Warnes, the newsagents, to the left of Jack Cohen's. I'm sure when I was a kid, that Jack Cohen's was on the left and Warnes was on the right, so they must have changed over at some point.
Further down the street was the Green Shield Stamp Shop where you could exchange the stamps that you got free with your shopping for gifts. The only thing that I can remember us ever getting was a garden gnome!

2 comments:

  1. Me and my mates used to catch the bus from Camelford as teenagers in the late 70s/early 80s especially to visit 'Jack's Jokes' and to go up and down the escalators! Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to spend my birthday money in there in the mid 80s. Was me and my mates favourite shop.

    ReplyDelete