Thursday 3 July 2014

Tom Baker at Dingles in Plymouth on 21 June, 1976


This interesting photo of Tom Baker, appearing at Dingles on 21st June 1976, appeared in the Herald recently.
I was at the event all those years ago and there's a photo, that I took on the day, further back on my blog. I remember getting there for 9am and Tom arrived soon after. All the children were very excited at Tom came up the escalator, dressed as Dr Who, and we all queued for his autograph. He had his trademark multi-coloured scarf on, which reached the ground. He was lovely to everyone and happily signed copies of the Dr Who Monster book. He also signed posters and gave out Target badges (Target was the publisher of the book). I had the signed book and poster for many years after but it's long since disappeared. I've still got the badge though and a signed photo.

Last year, the Herald contacted me and asked what it was like to meet Tom Baker and asked if they could use the photo I'd taken in an article celebrating 50 years of Dr Who. I told them that they already had photos of Tom's appearance but they said that they no longer existed and there was no record of the event. So I was amazed to see this photo in the Herald a few days ago together with the exact date of the event!
My memory has played tricks with me though because I originally thought that the signing had taken place in 1975 at Debenhams. Anyhow, it's good to see a clear picture of the event (unlike mine!) and Tom was a great bloke, by the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment