Thursday 30 April 2015

The ABC advertising hoarding at West Park



I noticed today that the billboard hoarding, on the side of the Peter Goord building, at West Park, has been taken down. Underneath has been revealed an old advert for the ABC Cinema. It's obviously quite old and wasn't there in my lifetime so I'm guessing that it dates from the 1950s or early 1960s.
Unlike modern bill posters, it has been painted onto the side of the building. I think there's more of it but this has been covered with modern spar dash probably some time in the 1970s.

I don't suppose it will be too long before it's covered up and disppears for another fifty years so if you want to see it and take a photo, now's the time.
Footnote: I contacted the Herald about the advertisement and they've written a piece about it here: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymouth-agents-travel-time-ABC-poster/story-26430435-detail/story.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment