Wednesday 10 June 2009

Benny Baron


There has been a lot of interest in Laurel and Hardy and their appearance at the Palace Theatre on 17th May, 1954. Plymouth's Barry Ewart has a connection with both the comedians, as his grandfather, Benny Baron, taught Stan many of his routines. Although Barry never knew his grandfather, his mother used to tell him stories of when Benny toured the music halls with his partner, Jack Graham.
Barry's uncle, Billy Baron, remembers, 'Stan adopted exactly the facial expressions my father used in his act. He was the one who got everything wrong and used to 'cry' when his partner knocked off his straw boater.'
Barry says, 'In the film the 'Flying Deuces', Babe (Ollie) sings 'Shine On, Harvest Moon' and Stan does a soft shoe shuffle dance routine to the song which was taught to Stan, step for step, by my grandfather and it brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it.'
Barry continues, 'My grandfather first worked with a young Stanley Jefferson (later Stan Laurel) in the early 1900's ( before America beckoned). The first documented production I can find is a juvenile pantomime company run by H.B.Levy and J.E. Cardwell. The production was 'The Sleeping Beauty'. My grandfather Benny was older than Stan. Master Stanley Jefferson played Ebeneezer (Golliwog2) and my grandfather played Major Flashlight. Amongst others in the cast were Jack Graham (later to become my grandfathers stage partner in the double act, 'Graham and Baron'). Jack played Colonel Dreadnought. I have in my possession a letter from Stan to my grandfather (at a time when Stan was famous as one half of Laurel and Hardy) and a picture of Stan, Ollie and Benny when they toured during the 1950s. My late mother always used to refer to Stan as uncle Stan and she told me many stories. Apparently, Stan learnt the deadpan face , and the 'cry' from Benny. In the movie, 'The Flying Deuces', Babe sings shine on Harvest Moon. Stan does a soft shoe shuffle routine and this dance routine was taught to Stan step for step by Benny. My elder brother used to do part of this (my grandfather died before I was born). Apparently Stan wanted Benny to go to America where, he explained to Benny, it was money for old rope (he was still not famous then) but my grandmother was having none of it saying it was bad enough touring round Northern England and Scotland (mostly) with their by now growing family including my mum (Irene Baron). After a long stint in variety as a double act with Jack Graham my grandfather finally retired from the stage to run a pub in Sunderland called The Boars Head Hotel. Stan always kept in touch with my grandfather.'
Barry adds, 'My grandfather lived in Sunderland and my mother (Irene Baron) came from Sunderland to Plymouth in the early fifties to marry a matelot (my dad). I might add that my mother, when she was young, sang on stage with none other than Judy Garland, albeit in the chorus line, and most of my uncles played in the orchestra pit of the Sunderland Empire , and toured most of the theatres in Northern England.'

No comments:

Post a Comment