Tuesday 2 November 2010

Strange circles at Churchtown Farm


I wonder if anyone else has noticed the strange grass circles at Churchtown Farm near Saltash? I've been visiting there for many years but have only noticed these circles appearing in the grass this year. I read in the newspaper, because of weather conditions, that Roman ruins had become visible in grassed areas around the country and their pattern could be seen from the air. I think these circles reveal something that is under the fields but I'm not sure what. Above is a photo that I took just this week. I'm sure that if I could have got higher, the circles would be a lot clearer and easier to see. During the Second World War, barrage balloons were moored at Point Field at Churchtown Farm and I wondered if the circles could be due to their foundations. However, the circles, some perfect, seem to be all over the many fields there. Back in the 1800s, Forder and Churchtown Farm were linked by a wooden viaduct which was eventually replaced by the stone viaduct that is there today. It could be that these circles show parts of this building work underneath. It would be interesting if the circles were showing something older that has yet to be discovered. My guess would be that they're probably something to do with the barrage balloon site but as there seems to be little written history or photos of Churchtown Farm during the war, it's hard to discover if this is the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment