Thursday 17 March 2011

Patrick MacNee



In 1987, I was asked along to watch Patrick MacNee film 'Where There's a Will' for TSW at St Modwin which is near the Marsh Mills Industrial Estate. I hadn't realised that filming was so tedious and slow and far from glamorous. It seemed to take all day just to shoot a couple of scenes. I'd watched Patrick in The Avengers since I was a small boy so I looked forward to meeting him.

I can't say that we had much of a conversation but he posed for photos. The smiles disappeared as soon as the photos were taken!
There were other well-known names at the shoot including Christopher Benjamin, Amanda Burton and Chris Jury (from Lovejoy). By far the nicest and politest actor on set was TSW's own Ian Stirling who was a great bloke.


Filming took place all over the region and many scenes were shot at Tavistock.
The show was directed by Baz Taylor who had also directed shows for Lovejoy. I think that it was hoped that 'Where There's a Will' would have the same appeal as Lovejoy.
As with most programmes made by Westward and TSW, it wasn't very good. TSW didn't have the clout (or money) of the larger regional tv stations.
I think that there were plans for it to become a series and for it to be sold all over the world. TSW showed it once and once only and it was awful! It was never shown again and the planned series was soon forgotten about!


Even so, I had a great summer watching it all being filmed. Many of the actors who appeared in it have gone on to do greater things but some seem to have disappeared altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment